Thursday, February 3, 2011

WinZilla \m/ Lick entry ( New Chappers Competition) by Surjo



Hi guys,
This post is being written with me in an exceptionally happy mood. REASON?? Well, this post is about the first time that I have been able to achieve something on an international level for guitar!! There was this competition online on youtube asking for the best lick. I will explain what a lick is later on in the post. Anyway, the guys were giving out an undisclosed prize, the person organizing this contest is a big shot guitar god from England, regularly plays with Malmsteen and so on, so it's a biggish deal. Anyway, there were more than 200 entries worldwide, and I made the top 10. I didn't win it, so not going to be offered mysterious undisclosed goods, but I did make the top 10.. Feels damn good to see your name( youtube user id) on the final list. Thanks to Girish Ramesh for the news. :)

Next thing I guess is, what is a lick man?? Well, this is not the same lick as use tongue and gross people out, although it can have it's uses in the bedroom. Whoa, major digression.
A lick in guitar terminology is like a phrase. Just like you use phrases to make sentences, we use licks to make complete solos. As a matter of fact, positioning of licks in a solo is called phrasing!! So licks are short sweet things, as you can see in this video that it is only 13 seconds long. This lick has a more bluesy approach to it, which is an approach I favour a whole deal.

http://forum.monkeylord.co.uk/threads/vote-on-the-winzilla-runners-up.10968/page-3

This is the page where you can see my name amongst those of the top 10.
Thank you so much for taking the time out to read this. I am really happy so I'm going to go a step ahead and say a small prayer for all of you'll who take the interest to read my stuff. :)
Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. i hate to admit this. I so hate to admit this but i am a proud friend!!
    Gawd what did i just say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.. Fatte saab.. Ek rahen eer, ek rahe beer, ek rahe aap, aur ek rahe hum!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 guys are in a cafe,

    one says: I've got the smallest arm of the world!

    another says: I've got the smallest head of the world!

    last one says: I'm the most musically talented guy in the world!

    The 3 guys go to Guinness World Records.

    First one goes first and returns happy: I've really got the smallest arm in the world!

    Second returns happy too: I've really got the smallest head of the world!

    The last one returns angry and screams: WHO THE F**K IS SURJO?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Gopi: Thanks man! Good one.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing man ...
    the second coolest thing is to have a rockstar friend so im kind of happy for myself...
    significant step towards stardom....
    best of luck
    keep rocking

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey surjo........congrates...and keep it up....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats man..!! Well done.. Keep up d gud wrk... :)

    ReplyDelete