Saturday, April 23, 2011

Morley Mark Tremonti Wah Pedal GuitarPlayback Wallimann Contest



Hi all,
Another day of happiness for me. I think these things I am doing haven't been done before in India, definitely not a small town kid (kid, who're you kidding!!) like me. I have managed to make it to the final list for another worldwide guitar contest. Like the last time, I didn't win, but I am getting closer to the prize.

You might be wondering what this contest is all about. Well, it's quite simple really. They had asked the participants to choose one out of a collection of backing tracks. What are backing tracks.. well they are songs without the main guitar parts. So you can fill that space up. There were a lot of backing tracks to choose from, and I went with one that I thought would challenge me. No point going in for the track where everybody knows what to do, there were so many entries on similar backing tracks, had to do something to be different from the rest from the very outset.

So I picked up this really difficult funk/big band backing track in the style of James Brown maybe. And I always associated funk with rhythm playing, but to play a solo over it, and make it sound convincing. Very very difficult. Anyway, cut to the chase, I put in my entry and it made it to the final round of 18. So I am really happy. Unfortunately there was only 1 prize, so we can't know who came second or third.

The prize was the Mark Tremonti wah pedal. Mark Tremonti is the ex-Creed, Alterbridge guitar player. BTW, you guys should watch this video on youtube, and read the comments in there by the other participants. You'll see the respect that I manage to gain on a worldwide basis, but of course, not many people know about that in India. It is a little weird, I am doing things that no one has done before, and nobody who is anybody, knows about it, or gives a shit. Funny world and funnier line of work I have chosen.

Anyway, if you have read this much of the post you might as well watch it. And please don't forget, the Indie Aid for Japan album, please help the victims by buying the album. It is only $6, Rs. 266. Think about it.

Take care

2 comments: